Wednesday, November 2, 2011

House Mold

Got Mold?


Is your home toxic? As a certified mold inspector and I have learned more than I'd ever want to know about the destructive results of mold growing in houses. Today our houses are sealed so tight that they don't breathe .. If mold, bacteria or yeast attaches it'self to your wall or other items .. It can make you real sick. The thing is MOST people are not educated about the chaos it causes in the human body. Among the most notorious of the molds is Stachybotrys better known as black mold. Exposure to toxic black mold can lead to a sort of poisoning that has numerous symptoms and effects. The poisoning results from a compound that forms with the mold and degrades the surface it grows on. As this is being written I am in the process of lining up a reputable re-mediator for a lady who is very ill and is not functioning. She is an extremely educated woman who used to run her profession from her home. She is now unable to work and has great difficulty with health issues and mental fog. The testing I did in her home came back with stachybotrys (Black Mold) too numerous to count. The test results also revealed high contamination with bacteria, yeast and other types of molds.  As I contemplated the trip over to deliver the news to her I knew I would also have a message, an urgent plea to leave her home - It was making her very sick. It's very SAD.

Most of the time I am able to do the testing while it is confined to one area. Sometimes the area will require safe chemicals to remove the mold (Don't Use Bleach - the mold will disappear for awhile and come back with a vengeance.) Sometimes simply cleaning the area with a non-toxic environmentally safe mold eliminator is enough and other times remediation is the only solution. In one household I was called to inspect, the child had let the bathtub overflow. The water sat there for some time before it was discovered and wiped up. The home happened to be a manufactured home. The building materials in these homes are usually lower in quality. The walls in this home were like paper and absorbed the water way up into the walls. Remediation was required. The re- mediators had to suit up, so they did not get sick, while removing the contaminated walls. Do not attempt to do anything on your own if you suspect mold. I was told that the man of the house put a fan on the floor to dry it out.  A fan takes those contaminates and spreads the spores all over and right into the breathing space. Bad Plan!

Volitile Organic Compound's
Another agent that causes health issues are called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s). the off- gassing from paint, new carpet, wood etc. These compounds often cause damage to the respiratory and nervous systems in humans. These compounds can also cause irritation to the mucous membranes. If you have asthma or respiratory, sinus or breathing issues, beware of entering new buildings which are full of V.O.C.'s. There is equipment (AIR PURIFICATION UNIT) available that will rid your breathing space of Voc's, bacteria, fungus, smoke, viruses, odors and more.

Symptoms of Black Mold Exposure
 Breathing difficulty is among the single most common symptom of exposure to any sort of mold. Black mold is no exception to this. Individuals may experience coughing or even asthma in some cases. Sometimes VOC poisoning may even cause bleeding in the lungs. Individuals that are exposed to VOC’s and black mold may also experience a runny or itchy nose. Similarly any of the mucous membranes may also become irritated. This may result in conditions in the eyes and other areas of the body. In some cases the individuals that are exposed to VOC’s and black mold may experience headaches. They may also have memory loss and lack of concentration. Other symptoms may include lethargy and dizziness.. Black mold symptoms may also include nausea. In some cases the digestive process may be impaired and the digestive system may be damaged. Infections may occur in the body. The urinary tract is among the more common locations of such infections. There may be instances of rashes or hives on the skin of individuals that are exposed to VOC’s and black mold as well. Black mold symptoms may include irregular blood pressure, pain in internal organs, such as the liver. Infertility can result in some individuals following prolonged exposure or exposure to high-levels. Black mold symptoms can be serious and may be potentially fatal. The poisoning does not improve without removal from the area. Symptoms however may vary and may seem to improve at times. Got Mold - Now What? Let's say you have determined you have many of the toxic mold symptoms. Your next step would to have your home inspected by a certified mold inspector If the test results show high levels of toxic mold spores you will know where your illness originates. Blood testing is the third step in diagnosis of toxic black mold syndrome. Though it is important that you consult a physician, not all physicians know how to go about testing for toxic mold poisoning. If you are concerned that you may be experiencing VOC poisoning or black mold symptoms.don't delay in finding the source. Early treatment is the better option. Similarly some of these symptoms may be signs of other treatable problems. In addition the black mold clean up of the home or other contaminated area often proves easier when the mold is detected early on. There are professional mold removal companies that are trained in the removal of mold and the restoration of structures

New Home with Black Mold

I have included a must see video in this hub by a couple who bought a new house that had black mold growing behind the walls. The builder of the house used wet beams and wood in the construction of the home. You just can't do that without creating the perfect atmosphere for mold to grow. As a result of living with black mold for many months, two of the members of this family got severely ill. It took a long time to find out what was causing their illness. The cause was growing and hidden behind the walls of their house. Watch the video to see what happened. Mold Destroys House and Health.


No comments:

Post a Comment